Dr Robert Hill is a world-renowned biocontrol research scientist with a particular interest in the use of Trichoderma fungi for forest bioprotection.
Robert joined Lincoln Agritech Ltd in 2018, following ten years at the Bio-Protection Research Centre (BPRC), Lincoln University and five years at BioDiscovery NZ Ltd. He is particularly skilled at developing novel biocontrol alternatives to pesticides with a special emphasis on root endophytic Trichoderma isolates that enhance plant vigour and reduce disease incidence.
From May 1985, Robert worked for the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Technology Division, which evolved into the Horticulture and Food Research Institute of New Zealand (now Plant and Food Research). From 1992 to 1999 he was science manager for the Natural Products and Natural Systems groups and Portfolio Manager for forestry. Robert has played a key role in the successful commercialisation of several biological control agents.
Originally from England, Robert's work included placements in the UK, Brazil and US before he moved to New Zealand and subsequently international consultancies in the Sudan, Chile, Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Forest Owners Association 2016 Science Awards (winner): Innovation that Enhances Sector Value
- KiwiNet Research Commercialisation Awards 2016 (finalist): Baldwins Researcher Entrepreneur
- Bayer 2010 Innovators Award (winner): Agriculture and Environment
- Trichoderma fungi
- Forest bioprotection
- 2018 - current Senior Research Scientist, Lincoln Agritech Ltd
- 2013-2018 Group Leader Trichoderma Research, Bio-Protection Research Centre (BPRC), Lincoln University (LU)
- 2008-2013 Principal Research Officer, BPRC, LU
- 2003-2008 Senior Scientist, BioDiscovery New Zealand Limited
- 2000-2002 Scientist, Sustainable Disease Management Group, The Horticulture and Food Research Institute of NZ Ltd (HortResearch)
- 1998-1999 Portfolio Manager, Forestry, HortResearch
- 1992-1998 Science Manager, Natural Products and Ecological Production and Natural Systems Groups, HortResearch
- 1985-1992 Scientist Plant Protection Group, Horticulture, Ruakura Agricultural Research Centre, MAF Technology
- 1984-1985 Research Associate and Visiting Scientist, Tulane University/USDA, Southern Regional Research Center, New Orleans, Louisiana
- 1980-1984 Research Associate, Mycologist, University of Georgia/USDA, National Peanut Research Laboratory, Dawson, Georgia, USA
- 1978-1980 Postdoctoral Associate, Mycologist, Department of Plant Pathology, University of Georgia, Coastal Plain Experiment Station, Tifton, Georgia, USA